Attendance and Absence
We expect that all pupils, will:
- Attend school regularly
- Attend school punctually
- Attend school appropriately prepared for the school day
LINK TO ATTENDANCE POLICY
For each day your child is absent from school for any reason you must telephone the school office on 01483 274961 to explain the absence and send a note on their return to school.
In exceptional circumstances when leave in term time is unavoidable, a leave of absence request form must be completed as soon as possible once the dates of the proposed period of absence are known. The Leave of Absence Request Form can be obtained from the school office.
This is when the school agrees that the child is absent for a valid reason:
- A special day set aside for religious observance
- Domestic circumstances such as the death of a close relative
- Medical/dental appointments Please note that whilst the school will grant requests for absence for dental and medical treatments, parents/carers are encouraged, whenever possible, to book dental and medical appointments outside the school day. When appointments during the school hours are unavoidable, the school office should be notified in advance in writing. Evidence of the appointment may be requested. Parents/Carers are asked to remove the child only for the duration of the appointment)
- Closure of the school, e.g. snow or strikes
The following are not considered valid reasons for children missing school:
- Going shopping
- Visiting relatives
- Birthday treat
- A day out
- Parent or sibling unwell (except in exceptional circumstances)
Holidays during term time
The Government has issued guidelines that schools have to follow with regard to authorising leave of absence from schools. These changes became law on 1stSeptember 2013 and the school has to follow these procedures.? As parents or legal guardians, you have a legal responsibility to ensure your child’s attendance at school. During the academic year, pupils are at school for 190 days and at home for 175 days.
- Headteachers may no longer grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances (ie not holiday).
- This became law 1st September 2013 and is a government directive which the school is legally bound to follow.
- The school will consider requests for leave of absence sympathetically, but only in exceptional circumstances can they be approved. Requests in relation to certain personal circumstances including bereavement, medical reasons etc., will be considered as exceptional circumstances.
- The regulations state that parents who take their child out of school for five days or more during term time, without the authority of the Headteacher, may be liable to receive a Penalty Notice issued by the Local Authority.
The school is subject to regular inspections by the Education Welfare Officer and we frequently have to produce evidence relating to approved absence from school and this will continue. It is vitally important, therefore, that any absences from school in relation to sickness, visits to the doctor etc., are advised to the school office on the day of absence, or in advance if it relates to a medical appointment, to ensure that the correct reason for absence is recorded.
LINK TO LEAVE OF ABSENCE REQUEST FORM